Detox is the process of ridding the body of drugs and alcohol prior to enrolling in a substance abuse treatment program. It is one of the first steps toward sobriety and is often necessary. Despite its long-term benefits, unpleasant and even dangerous withdrawal symptoms can make the detox process hard on the body. This is why it is crucial people do not go through detox at home. Instead, they can attend Orange County detox at Ocean Hills Recovery.
How Long Does Detox Last?
The length of detox depends on a number of factors. These include what drug is being used, how much of it is used, and how often. Typically, withdrawal symptoms appear within the first 72 hours, some starting as soon as four hours after a person’s last intake. The actual duration of drug detoxification generally lasts around one to two weeks. However, if a person is detoxing at home, those weeks could feel like a lifetime.
Fortunately, continued hands-on support and supervision, paired with pain management practices, tend to make detox go by a lot quicker and more smoothly. Medical detox in California is only the start of recovery. Effective treatment programs last longer and are essential in preventing relapse and sustaining long-term sobriety.
Withdrawal symptoms and their severity depend on a variety of factors, including the type of substance, how heavily the substance was used, and when it was last used. Someone can identify common withdrawal symptoms individuals experience during detox.
- Upset stomach
Additionally, there is a risk of more serious withdrawal symptoms occurring. Many of these can be life-threatening if an individual is left unsupervised and without medical care. They include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Lowered heart rate and blood pressure
Orange County Detox Timelines
Different drugs not only cause varying side effects in those detoxing, but they also follow different detox timelines. However, detox timelines generally follow the same stages:
- Anticipatory: This is the first stage in detox and usually includes mild side effects and drug cravings. Typically symptoms are psychological in nature and might include anxiety or fear.
- Early Acute: During this stage, physical side effects begin to surface. They can range from an upset stomach and sweating to tremors and insomnia, depending on the type of substance that was abused.
- Fully-Developed Acute: At this stage, the peak of withdrawal as symptoms are the most severe, and cravings are the strongest during this time. This is when the more dangerous side effects, such as hallucinations and seizures, are likely to occur.
- Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS): Certain withdrawal symptoms can persist for weeks to months following the initial detox process. They are manageable, and typically include insomnia, cravings, and feelings of sadness or depression. A person is still highly susceptible to environmental triggers that may trigger a relapse during this time.
Alcohol withdrawal symptoms typically last anywhere from two to eight days, depending on the person. Generally, alcohol withdrawal follows this timeline:
- First Stage (mild): These symptoms usually begin six to 12 hours after a person’s last alcoholic beverage. Typical symptoms include sleep disturbances, headaches, feelings of anxiety, tremors, and an upset stomach.
- Second Stage (moderate): These symptoms begin within 24 hours. In addition to the already listed symptoms, they include, confusion, abnormal breathing patterns, and higher than normal blood pressure and heart rate.
- Third Stage (severe): These symptoms typically present themselves after 24 to 72 hours. Symptoms peak during this time and include delusions, hallucinations, seizures, and impaired judgment as well as the previously listed symptoms.
Types of Drug Detox
Orange County detox can help our clients detox from many different substances. We understand different drugs have different detox timelines and symptoms. Additionally, we know that each person handles detox in a unique way, which requires personalized treatment.
Drugs that clients commonly detox from at our facility include the following:
Alcohol withdrawals might start as soon as six hours after a person’s last drink. Withdrawal symptoms typically come with the most dangerous symptoms. Consequently, they can even lead to death if an individual is not properly monitored throughout the detox process.
Individuals abusing opioid painkillers will typically begin to feel the full effects of withdrawal 24 hours after their last dose. Those who are abusing opioids heavily and very frequently typically experience the most severe level of withdrawal symptoms.
Benzodiazepines are a type of central nervous system depressant. They include brand names such as Xanax, Valium, or Klonopin. The withdrawal timeline for benzodiazepines depends on how long the drug stays in a person’s system, which is determined by the brand.
Stimulants include drugs such as cocaine, amphetamines, and ADHD medication. Withdrawal symptoms usually surface 24 to 72 hours after an individual’s last dose. Though symptoms lessen after about a week, drug cravings might increase.
What Happens During Alcohol and Drug Detox in Orange County?
We use a three-step approach in order to make our detox process as easy to understand as possible. Our method moves clients from one stage to the next smoothly to avoid any potential complications or relapse triggers. Our Orange County detox facility adheres to the following structure:
We want to be sure we address each of our client’s specific health concerns. Therefore, our team of medical professionals completes a thorough medical evaluation. This allows them to pinpoint any underlying health conditions and design a personalized detox plan that accounts for where a person’s health is currently.
After understanding our client’s medical backgrounds and prior drug use, we will be ready to get them stable and keep them stable. We do this using various medical and psychological interventions that provide as much comfort as possible during the detox process.
The road to sobriety takes time, effort, and professional treatment support past the initial detox process. To prevent the likelihood of relapse, we always recommend clients enter a long-term treatment program.
Benefits of Orange County Detox at Ocean Hills Recovery
There are several benefits of medical detox in California, the most important of these being a person is safe and healthy throughout the process. We use several evidence-based methods to ensure their security and comfort. Furthermore, each of these will have a specific purpose.
Benefits of detoxing in Orange County include:
- 24-Hour monitoring: Our compassionate team will be there for someone at all times.
- Healing environment: Our facility is by the ocean, providing sunshine and sea breezes.
- Relaxation techniques: Stress-relieving strategies such as massage can aid certain withdrawal symptoms.
- Critical medical treatment: It is crucial clients have access to medical help if complications should occur.
- Therapy options: We offer different therapies so clients can heal fully and maintain sobriety.
- Family support programs: Healthy relationships are essential to recovery and we provide programs that help heal family dynamics.
- Rehab treatment options: Detox is only one step in recovery. We offer many comprehensive programs, so clients can continue treatment.
The primary benefit of alcohol detox is that it sets one up for long-term sobriety. Some additional benefits that patients receive while under the care of our capable detox team include the following:
- Professional care: Our team members are licensed in their field, trained, and expertly vetted to ensure that they provide only the best care possible.
- Comprehensive alcohol addiction treatment services: We promote a collaborative recovery approach that utilizes various evidence-based treatment practices. These include:
- 12-Step program
- Relapse prevention training
- Individual and group counseling
- Life skills training
- Aftercare support
- Individualized treatment plans: Alcohol addiction looks and behaves differently for every individual. Therefore, we believe that a treatment plan should be customized to fit each of our client’s unique backgrounds.
- Secure facility: We create a relaxing environment that promotes physical and emotional healing.
- Holistic treatments: These teach healthy habits and coping mechanisms. Examples include yoga, art, and mindfulness exercises.
Can I Detox On My Own?
Due to the dangerous nature of withdrawal symptoms, we strongly advise only detoxing at a qualified facility. Detoxing at home can lead to harmful, potentially fatal side effects. Withdrawal symptoms typically cause a lot of pain that cannot be controlled without the proper medication and support, making the overall process much more difficult.
Our drug detox in Orange County gives patients access to full-time attention and monitoring. That way, complications can be resolved quickly and a patient can be effectively stabilized.
These complications can include:
- Depression and anxiety
- Liver or kidney failure
- Heart complications
- Aspiration pneumonia
- Severe stomach problems
Additionally, the chances of relapse are much higher when detoxing on one’s own. Without professional detox assistance, cravings might become unmanageable. We can administer medication to help with cravings, as well as provide someone with essential support.
Medications Used in Alcohol Detox
We administer certain medications in our alcohol detox program in order to make the overall process go smoothly and safely. Not only do these medications ease withdrawal symptoms but they reduce cravings. This makes it easier for clients to continue detox without relapse.
These medications include:
- Benzodiazepines: These trick the brain into thinking they are still drinking. Therefore, they provide relief for those detoxing from alcohol and are slowly tapered off as the detox comes to an end.
- Disulfiram: This is used to treat alcohol cravings in order to prevent relapse. It lends alcohol unpleasant side effects that are often compared to hangover symptoms.
- Naltrexone: This alters the brain’s response to alcohol by interacting with neurotransmitters which reduces a person’s “reward” for drinking. This is also known as feeling drunk.
- Acamprosate: This helps to reduce dependency on alcohol which in turn lowers a person’s desire to drink. Acamprosate is typically taken alongside naltrexone and disulfiram.
Orange County Detox at Ocean Hills Recovery
Ocean Hills prioritizes comfort, environment, and safety to ensure the detox experience goes as smoothly as possible. Our medical staff is both knowledgeable and compassionate. This ensures quality care for someone or their loved ones.
Our seaside facility offers a range of holistic and therapeutic services such as:
- Group therapy
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Family therapy
- Dialectical behavioral therapy
- Individual therapy
- Mindfulness practices
Furthermore, our life skills training programs equip our detox clients with practical communication skills, tips and tricks, and homework assignments. All of our treatment protocols are designed to improve day-to-day functioning as newly sober individuals.
Begin Orange County Detox Today
You deserve a healthy, fulfilling life. The first step is detoxing your body of all the drugs and toxins that hold you back from a life of fulfilling sobriety. At Ocean Hills Recovery, our mission is to help you get sober and stay sober. Our experienced staff is ready to offer you the support you need to get through medical detox in California as smoothly as possible.
Begin your recovery journey by contacting us today.