Addiction Treatment & Rehab for Riverside at OHR
Alcohol is one of the most abused substances in the United States. It’s legal, easily accessible and inexpensive. Add to that the fact that drinking is so glamorized, and it’s no wonder why so many people are battling alcohol addiction.
If you or someone you love is struggling with alcohol addiction, it may be time to think about getting help. Ocean Hills Recovery, the leading alcohol rehab center in Riverside, offers various treatment programs that address the aspects of alcohol addiction.
At Ocean Hills, we understand that alcohol addiction is unique to each individual. Our 12 step recovery model is designed to provide individualized treatment to address the needs of each and every person that we work with.
Understanding Alcohol Addiction
Known as alcoholism, alcohol addiction is considered a chronic disease that affects the neurochemistry of the brain. In other words, a person who is addicted to alcohol is unable to control their addiction; instead, their addiction controls them.
Alcoholism affects people of all ages and of all walks of life. While experts have tried to determine if there are any factors that predispose people to alcohol addiction, such as genetic makeup, race, sex, demographics and socioeconomics, no single cause has been pinpointed. What has been determined is that there are a variety of factors that can contribute to the disease, including genetic, psychological and behavioral factors.
Addiction to alcohol can present itself in different ways. For example, some alcoholics drink excessive amounts all day, every day, while others may drink large quantities a few days a week. In other words, the severity of alcoholism, how often and how much someone drinks varies from person to person. With that being said, someone who uses alcohol in excess and cannot remain sober for an extended period of time is considered an alcoholic.
The Symptoms of Alcohol Addiction
Alcoholism can be difficult to identify. Unlike other types of substances, alcohol is legal in the United States and widely accepted in our culture. In fact, it is often a centerpiece in social settings and thought to enhance fun and pleasure. Since drinking is so common in our society, it can be difficult to determine the difference between someone who enjoys having a few drinks every so often and someone who has an addiction; even for the person who is suffering from the addiction.
Some of the most common symptoms of alcoholism include:
- Excessive use; frequently drinking large quantities
- A high tolerance
- Drinking when it’s inappropriate, such as in the morning or at work
- Engaging in reckless behavior while drinking, such as drinking and driving
- Hiding drinking or hiding alcohol
- Changes in relationships that are directly related to alcohol
- Changes in personality
- The need to consume alcohol in order to function
If you or someone you love is exhibiting any of the above warning signs, it may be time to consider alcohol rehab.
What is Alcohol Rehab
Alcohol rehab is the term used to describe treatment for an alcohol addiction. The goal of rehab is to help a person who is addicted to alcohol stop using it and permanently abstain from using it.
The goals of alcohol rehab include, but are not limited to:
- Permanently putting an end to alcohol use
- Understanding the root of the addiction
- Learning how to cope with triggers than can spark alcohol use
- Treating any co-occurring mental health issues
- Improving overall mental and physical health
- Integrating back into society free of alcohol use so that a more productive, happier and healthier life can be lead
What Happens During Rehab
A person while undergo different phases as he or she moves through rehab. Each phase is important to the final outcome of treatment, and all aim to help the patient overcome alcohol addiction and move forward toward a life of sobriety.
At Ocean Hills Recovery, patients in our alcohol rehab program can expect the following:
- Intake assessment. This is the first phase of treatment. A clinician will ask several questions related to a person’s dependence on alcohol, including how much and how he drinks, how long she has been drinking for, and whether or not he or she has tried to stop using in the past. This assessment will help us determine the severity of the addiction and what type of treatment will be the most effective. It will also help us determine if detox is necessary.
- If deemed necessary, the patient will undergo medically-supervised detox. During this time, patients are monitored 24 hours a day and receive any help that they may need. This phase helps to prepare patients for the next phase of rehab: treatment.
- During treatment, patients learn more about their addiction and how to overcome it. They are exposed to a variety of programs and therapies, the goal of which are to help patients attain – and remain – sober. At Ocean Hills Recovery, our treatment process involves a combination of behavioral therapies, support groups and medication. Treatments are devised based on each person’s individual needs.
Ocean Hills Recovery had helped so many people in the Riverside area overcome alcohol addiction. We are confident that we can help you or your loved one, too. Alcoholism can be scary, but take comfort in knowing that there is help available. We can provide the help that is needed to overcome an addiction to alcohol. Please contact us today.