Detox is the process of ridding the body of all drugs and alcohol prior to enrolling in a substance abuse treatment program. It is one of the first steps towards sobriety and is necessary for many. Despite its long-term benefits, unpleasant and even dangerous withdrawal symptoms can make the detox process hard on the body. This is why it is crucial that people do not go through withdrawals at home but, instead, undergo medical detox in California at a licensed Orange County detox facility.
How Long Does Detox Last?
The length of detox depends on a number of factors. These include what drug is being used, how much of it is being used, and how often it is being used. Typically, withdrawal symptoms appear within the first 72 hours, some starting as soon as four hours after a person’s last intake. The actual duration of drug detoxification generally lasts around 1-2 weeks. However, if you are detoxing at home, those weeks could feel like a lifetime. 24/7 support and supervision paired with pain management practices tends to make detox go by a lot quicker and much smoother.
Medical detox in California is only the start of recovery. Effective treatment programs last longer and are essential in preventing relapse and sustaining long-term sobriety.
Withdrawal symptoms and their severity also depend on factors such as type of substance, how heavily the substance was used, and when it was last used. Common withdrawal symptoms individuals experience during detox include:
- Upset stomach
Additionally, there is a risk of more serious withdrawal symptoms occurring. Many of these can be life-threatening if an individual is left unsupervised and without medical care. They include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Lowered heart rate and blood pressure
Drug Detox in Orange County Timelines
Different drugs not only cause varying side effects in those detoxing, but they also follow different detox timelines. However, detox timelines generally follow the same stages:
- Anticipatory. This is the first stage in detox and usually includes mild side effects and drug cravings. Typically symptoms are psychological in nature and might include anxiety or fear.
- Early Acute. During this stage, physical side effects begin to surface. They can range from an upset stomach and sweating to tremors and insomnia, depending on the type of substance that was abused.
- Fully-Developed Acute. This stage is considered to be the peak of withdrawal as symptoms are the most severe, and cravings are the strongest during this time. This is when the more dangerous side effects, such as hallucinations and seizures, are likely to occur.
- Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS). Certain withdrawal symptoms can persist for weeks to months following the initial detox process. They are manageable, and typically include insomnia, cravings, and feelings of sadness or depression. During this time, a person is still highly susceptible to environmental triggers that may trigger a relapse.
Types of Drug Detox
Our facility can help those detoxing from many different substances. We understand that not only do different drugs have different detox timelines and symptoms, but each person handles detox in a unique way — necessitating personalized treatment. Drugs that clients commonly detox from at our facility include the following:
Individuals abusing opioid painkillers will typically begin to feel the full effects of withdrawal 24 hours after their last dose. Those who are abusing opioids heavily and very frequently typically experience the most severe level of withdrawal symptoms.
Benzodiazepines are a type of central nervous system depressant. They include brand names such as Xanax, Valium, or Klonopin. The withdrawal timeline for benzodiazepines depends on how long the drug stays in a person’s system, which is determined by brand.
Stimulants include drugs such as cocaine, amphetamines, and ADHD medication. Withdrawal symptoms usually surface 24-72 hours after an individual’s last dose. Though symptoms lessen after about a week, drug cravings might increase.
Alcohol withdrawals might start as soon as six hours after a person’s last drink. Alcohol withdrawals typically come with the most dangerous symptoms and can even lead to death if an individual is not properly monitored throughout detox.
What Happens During Orange County Detox
We use a three-step approach in order to make our detox process as easy to understand as possible. Our method moves clients from one stage to the next smoothly to avoid any potential complications or relapse triggers. Our Orange County detox facility adheres to the following structure:
We want to be sure that we address each of our clients’ specific health concerns. Therefore, our team of medical professionals completes a thorough medical evaluation. This allows them to pinpoint any underlying health conditions and design a personalized detox plan that accounts for where a person’s health is today.
After understanding our client’s medical backgrounds and prior drug use, we will be ready to get them stable and keep them stable. We do this using various medical and psychological interventions that provide as much comfort as possible during the detox process.
The road to sobriety takes time, effort, and professional treatment support past the initial detox process. To prevent the likelihood of relapse, we always recommend clients enter a long-term treatment program.
Benefits Of Orange County Detox
There are several benefits of medical detox in California, the most important of these being that you stay safe and healthy throughout the process. We use several evidence-based methods to ensure your security and comfort — each having a specific purpose. Benefits of detoxing in Orange County include:
- 24 Hour Monitoring: Our compassionate team will be there for you at all times.
- Healing Environment: Our facility is by the ocean — providing sunshine and sea breezes.
- Relaxation Techniques: Stress relieving strategies such as massage can aid certain withdrawal symptoms.
- Critical Medical Treatment: It is crucial that you have access to medical help if complications should occur.
- Therapy Options: We offer different therapies so you can heal fully and maintain sobriety.
- Family Support Programs: Healthy relationships are essential to your recovery and we provide programs that help heal family dynamics.
- Rehab Treatment Options: Detox is only one step in recovery. We offer many comprehensive programs, so you can continue treatment.
Can I Detox On My Own?
Due to the dangerous nature of withdrawal symptoms, we heavily advise only detoxing at a qualified facility. Detoxing at home can lead to harmful, potentially fatal side effects. Withdrawal symptoms typically cause a lot of pain that cannot be controlled without the proper medication and support, making the overall process much more difficult.
Additionally, your chances of relapse are much higher when you try to detox on your own. Typically, without professional detox assistance, your cravings might become unmanageable. We can administer medication to help with cravings, as well as provide you with essential support.
Orange County Detox At Ocean Hills Recovery
Ocean Hills prioritizes comfort, environment, and safety to ensure your detox experience goes as smoothly as possible. Our medical staff is both knowledgeable and compassionate—ensuring quality care for you or your loved one. Our seaside facility offers a range of holistic and therapeutic services such as:
- Group therapy
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Family therapy
- Dialectical behavioral therapy
- Individual therapy
- Mindfulness practices
Furthermore, our life skills training programs equip our detox clients with practical communication skills, tips and tricks, and homework assignments. All of our treatment protocols are designed to improve day-to-day functioning as newly sober individuals.
Medical Detox in Orange County, CA
You deserve a healthy, fulfilling life. The first step is detoxing your body of all the drugs and toxins that hold you back from a life of fulfilling sobriety. At Ocean Hills Recovery, our mission is to help you get sober and stay sober. Our experienced staff is ready to offer you the support you need to get through medical detox in California as smoothly as possible. Begin your recovery journey by calling or using our contact form today.